+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Policeman's Oath

Share/Bookmark

Default Policeman's Oath

Ethical oath for police officers
    The ethical oath for police officers is taken by all police officers on completion of the Diploma in Police Studies. The oath is normally taken at the Police School in the presence of the National Police Commissioner. Family members, friends, teaching staff and other representatives will also be present.

The ethical oath was introduced at the beginning of 2001.

The oath reads as follows:

Oath concerning the professional ethics of police officers

I DO SOLEMNLY DECLARE UPON MY HONOUR AND CONSCIENCE THAT I WILL ACT AT ALL TIMES TO THE BEST OF MY ABILITY AND KNOWLEDGE IN A MANNER BEFITTING A POLICE OFFICER

I WILL PRESERVE THE DIGNITY AND WILL RESPECT THE RIGHTS OF ALL INDIVIDUALS

I WILL DISCHARGE MY DUTIES WITH INTEGRITY AND WILL PROMOTE UNDERSTANDING AND CONCILIATION

I WILL EXERCISE MY AUTHORITY AS A POLICE OFFICER IN THE MANNER INTENDED BY THE LAW

I WILL FAITHFULLY OBEY THE ORDERS OF MY SUPERIORS AND WILL BE READY TO CONFRONT DANGER IN THE LINE OF DUTY

I WILL ACT WITH HONESTY, COURTESY AND REGARD FOR THE WELFARE OF OTHERS, AND WILL ENDEAVOUR TO DEVELOP THE ESPRIT DE CORPS

I WILL ACT JUSTLY AND IMPARTIALLY AND WITH PROPRIETY TOWARDS MY FELLOW OFFICERS

I WILL CONSTANTLY STRIVE TO HONOUR THIS OATH IN MY SERVICE AS A POLICE OFFICER

Quote Originally Posted by splendor View Post
    The ethical oath for police officers is taken by all police officers on completion of the Diploma in Police Studies. The oath is normally taken at the Police School in the presence of the National Police Commissioner. Family members, friends, teaching staff and other representatives will also be present.

I DO SOLEMNLY DECLARE UPON MY HONOUR AND CONSCIENCE THAT I WILL ACT AT ALL TIMES TO THE BEST OF MY ABILITY AND KNOWLEDGE IN A MANNER BEFITTING A POLICE OFFICER

I WILL DISCHARGE MY DUTIES WITH INTEGRITY AND WILL PROMOTE UNDERSTANDING AND CONCILIATION

I WILL EXERCISE MY AUTHORITY AS A POLICE OFFICER IN THE MANNER INTENDED BY THE LAW

I WILL FAITHFULLY OBEY THE ORDERS OF MY SUPERIORS AND WILL BE READY TO CONFRONT DANGER IN THE LINE OF DUTY

I WILL ACT WITH HONESTY, COURTESY AND REGARD FOR THE WELFARE OF OTHERS, AND WILL ENDEAVOUR TO DEVELOP THE ESPRIT DE CORPS

Sounds like maybe some police recruits need to pass a reading comprehension test before taking that oath! Obviously some either do not understand the meaning of the oath. . .or do not take it seriously!

I think a clear definition of what the MANNER BEFITTING A POLICE OFFICER is should be spelled out because I don't think many of them know what that is....along with some of the other pledges in this oath are.

Hi Splendor,

I think that there has been some kind of oath or another for many years, but with the few, it has ment nothing, just like this one, I read the post on the cop that harrasted the black man for standing on a corner, and everytime I read/hear/see these types of behaviors from a cop, I think of the 60's, I remember in the 60's the cops were always putting the blacks down, arresting them for the dumbest crap, accusing them of things that they never did, and refered to them as NEGROS, as a politeness, others refered to them as something else that begins with a N, all in all, nothings changed in the way a lot of them treat the blacks, and it could be maybe that the new generation of cops are decendents of older cops with the same values as dad or grampa, I experience the same thing here in Germany with decendents of the Nazis, my grandfather was the head chief for the SS in our county, and we have a good size county, and almost every single person in my family here is a major A-hole, and I don't visit them and they don't visit me, thank God, I have/had 4 aunts, 4 uncles and have 20 cousins, from all of them I like only one cousin, even though she is a looser and a ho, (I feel sorry for her), but they all have that greater than thou attitude, and they have always put down my mother for getting married to an American Service Man and moving to America, and they all hate blacks, so I think that most of the problem with the cops that harrass blacks might be tought within the family, and the others that are just plain A-holes, well, their just plain A-holes, and then there is the bad hair day theory, and then there is marrital problems, and so on, and so on, remember, it takes an entire box of corn flakes to make a box of corn flakes, and really if you look at the flakes under a microscope their not all the same, but each and every one of them is a flake, and remember this, boy scotts take an oath also, and to this day I have never seen one that has help an old lady accross the street.

Default An Anachronism

Quote Originally Posted by Raimund Heinrich View Post
    Hi Splendor,

I think that there has been some kind of oath or another for many years, but with the few, it has ment nothing, just like this one, I read the post on the cop that harrasted the black man for standing on a corner, and everytime I read/hear/see these types of behaviors from a cop, I think of the 60's, I remember in the 60's the cops were always putting the blacks down, arresting them for the dumbest crap, accusing them of things that they never did, and refered to them as NEGROS, as a politeness, others refered to them as something else that begins with a N, all in all, nothings changed in the way a lot of them treat the blacks, and it could be maybe that the new generation of cops are decendents of older cops with the same values as dad or grampa, I experience the same thing here in Germany with decendents of the Nazis, my grandfather was the head chief for the SS in our county, and we have a good size county, and almost every single person in my family here is a major A-hole, and I don't visit them and they don't visit me, thank God, I have/had 4 aunts, 4 uncles and have 20 cousins, from all of them I like only one cousin, even though she is a looser and a ho, (I feel sorry for her), but they all have that greater than thou attitude, and they have always put down my mother for getting married to an American Service Man and moving to America, and they all hate blacks, so I think that most of the problem with the cops that harrass blacks might be tought within the family, and the others that are just plain A-holes, well, their just plain A-holes, and then there is the bad hair day theory, and then there is marrital problems, and so on, and so on, remember, it takes an entire box of corn flakes to make a box of corn flakes, and really if you look at the flakes under a microscope their not all the same, but each and every one of them is a flake, and remember this, boy scotts take an oath also, and to this day I have never seen one that has help an old lady accross the street.
    As far a policemen are concerned, I have discovered that (oddly) there is no middle ground in the type of law officer they become; they are either good, or bad; there is no in-between. The good ones try to live up to the oath; with the bad ones; it's the first thing they forget.

I agree that prejudice is a learned process. It brings to mind the song from "South Pacific" by Oscar Hammerstein II; "Carefully Taught":
    ". . . you have to be taught before it's too late; before you are 6 or 7 or 8; to hate all the people your relatives hate . . ."

I disagree however, about the Boy Scouts. It is a organization that augments the family unit for instilling proper values in our youth. My grandson has just become an Eagle Scout; and he is a great kid, and trys to live up to the Scout Laws.

Here is the Scout Oath:

On my honor I will do my best
    To do my duty to God and my country
    and to obey the Scout Law;
    To help other people at all times;
    To keep myself physically strong,
    mentally awake, and morally straight.

Helping old ladies across the street is meant to be a guideline example.

As far a policemen are concerned, I have discovered that (oddly) there is no middle ground in the type of law officer they become; they are either good, or bad; there is no in-between. The good ones try to live up to the oath; with the bad ones; it's the first thing they forget.

I agree that prejudice is a learned process. It brings to mind the song from "South Pacific" by Oscar Hammerstein II; "Carefully Taught":
    ". . . you have to be taught before it's too late; before you are 6 or 7 or 8; to hate all the people your relatives hate . . ."

I disagree however, about the Boy Scouts. It is a organization that augments the family unit for instilling proper values in our youth. My grandson has just become an Eagle Scout; and he is a great kid, and trys to live up to the Scout Laws.

Here is the Scout Oath:

On my honor I will do my best
    To do my duty to God and my country
    and to obey the Scout Law;
    To help other people at all times;
    To keep myself physically strong,
    mentally awake, and morally straight.

Helping old ladies across the street is meant to be a guideline example.
    Congratulation to your grand kid! If he is anything like you, he will benefit from the best of the Boy Scout's teaching, and leave the worse!
    for example, "obey the Scout Law" sounds great. . . as long as the law doesn't require intolerance toward diversity of any kind.
    and "keep myself. . .. .morally straight" I hope it no longer involves rejecting homosexuality at all costs. Once again, I hope the boy scout law is a "living" document that is willing to learn with time and experience.

Quote Originally Posted by Raimund Heinrich View Post
    Hi Splendor,

Hey Raimund,
    Excellent post. I see you have a understanding of what I'm talking about.

Quote Originally Posted by Sadanie View Post
    Congratulation to your grand kid! If he is anything like you, he will benefit from the best of the Boy Scout's teaching, and leave the worse!
    for example, "obey the Scout Law" sounds great. . . as long as the law doesn't require intolerance toward diversity of any kind.
    and "keep myself. . .. .morally straight" I hope it no longer involves rejecting homosexuality at all costs. Once again, I hope the boy scout law is a "living" document that is willing to learn with time and experience.
    Thanks, Sadanie, and I hope so too.

I believe the new Boy Scouts are much more tolerant than they were when I was a Scout (a few centuries ago).

This is the wording of the "Morally straight" clause:

"To be a person of strong character, your relationships with others should be honest and open. You should respect and defend the rights of all people. Be clean in your speech and actions, and remain faithful in your religious beliefs. The values you practice as a Scout will help you shape a life of virtue and self-reliance."

My grandson's troop has a wide diversity of boys; and to my knowledge they all get along fine.

Thanks, Sadanie, and I hope so too.

I believe the new Boy Scouts are much more tolerant than they were when I was a Scout (a few centuries ago).

This is the wording of the "Morally straight" clause:

"To be a person of strong character, your relationships with others should be honest and open. You should respect and defend the rights of all people. Be clean in your speech and actions, and remain faithful in your religious beliefs. The values you practice as a Scout will help you shape a life of virtue and self-reliance."

My grandson's troop has a wide diversity of boys; and to my knowledge they all get along fine.

Sounds like a perfect example of a "living" organization. I am sure that your grandson would grow up to be just as balanced and smart as his grandpa!
    Love and good role models do miracle!

Arrow

It is too bad that the PEOPLE do not give them the same respect most of the time.

+ Reply to Thread